Spine Therapy – The Dorn Method
Dorn Method of spine therapy is a non-manipulative Manual therapy and a safe way to correcting misalignments of the spine, and other joints in our body. This therapy was discovered by Dieter Dorn (1938 - January 2011) from Germany
With the Dorn technique we can re-align the vertebrae with just a little pressure of the thumb in the right place while creating muscle movement at the same time. The Dorn Method enables us to align single vertebrae without touching any others. This technique is gentle and non-invasive.
What happens in a Dorn Spinal Therapy treatment?
- With the Dorn Method we check and correct the joints from bottom to top; that is from the feet to the head. This is done in 3 positions; lying down, standing and sitting.
- While you are lying comfortably on your back, we check your leg length. Any difference in leg length will be corrected by aligning the hip joint, the knee joint and the ankle joint on the leg requiring the attention.
- Then, standing by the table, we will feel the pelvis area. We examine the sacrum, the ileum and the coccyx areas and align where necessary.
- While you are Sitting on a chair, we proceed to check along the thoracic spine and then the cervical spine again making re-alignments where necessary. As we work our way slowly from the bottom to the top, and in constant communication with you, we gently re-align any of the vertebrae that are out of place.
- Finally and most importantly, you will be demonstrated self-help exercises and posture correction which form the most vital part of your recovery from pain: Your own self-care or after-care! The exercises are easy to follow yet very effective in maintaining the treatment and strengthening your body into its new and correct alignment..
What to expect after the treatment
One of three things can happen:
- You feel better , lighter and pain free after the treatment.. This is the ideal outcome! This means that your ailment is reponding to the treatment given.
- you don't feel any change and another treatment session should be arranged. The next treatment session will show if you react at all to the treatment. Sometimes the body needs to be loosened before it can react and before results can take place.
- You go through a 'healing crisis' which may mean that you feel distinct signs of detoxification due to a changed metabolism. You might experience a light-headed feeling or drowsiness, some muscle pain or pressure sensitivity on the corrected areas for the next few days.
What you need to do after the treatment
For best results and support for your body you should drink plenty of water (approx 3 litres after the treatment) over the next few weeks. , Avoid wrong stretches or twists or unsuitable sports activities for approx 2 months and keep up your self-healing exercises which will help to strengthen your body in its new position.
Each session can take up to 30 minutes.
“Look well to the spine for the cause of disease” – Hippocrates